Arriving in Gotland


As you may have noticed I have been away for quite some time, so I will tell or rather show you what I have been up to lately. First, I flew to Gothenburg and from there a bus took me to Gotland! As Gotland is an island in the Baltic Sea and Sweden's largest island, we had to hop on a ferry to get there. The journey all in all took about 8 hours. 


Our hotel, the "Clarions Hotel Wisby" the former city hotel was located near the harbor, so after the long journey it was a nice short walk there. I will show you the first impressions of the city when we walked out the doors of the hotel.


We turned right and walked along the Strandgatan until we stumbled upon this alluring statue called "Fnasket i Plasket" (engl.: tramp in the splash). The thing about this piece that stood out to me was the odd color and material of the statue, it was strikingly white.


You could spot these statues of sheep everywhere in the city. The sheep is also portrayed on the Gotland flag and is a national symbol representing the island. In souvenir shops you were able to purchase miniatures of these animal statues as well.


Then we turned left and ended up at the famous park "Almedalen", where the annual Almedalen Week takes place. It's an important meeting place for everyone involved in Swedish politics. During the week representatives from the major political parties in Sweden take turns giving speeches in the park. I literally just missed this event by one day, but it's probably for the best. 2014 there were estimated 35,000 people taking part and regarding that the population of the whole island is only up to around 57,000 that's an insane amount of people in one city.


We ended our little tour with a swing to the shore to marvel at the stunning sunset. The weather was very pleasant, especially after the unbearable heat in Budapest the cool temperatures gave a feeling of relief. 


During my stay in Gotland I took millions of pictures...which is not even exaggerated. Haha just kidding but it is typical me to take a lot of needless and superfluous photographs. This is why I had to split my trip to Gotland up into the different days. So stay tuned to see more of the beautiful Gotland landscape in the following days!

Hows your summer passing by? Which wonderful places are you visiting this year?

15 comments:

  1. this place is so beautiful! nice pics, cant wait to see whats next :)

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have you back! And showing this amazing place! I now have that on my list! I loved the pictures, the sheep statues :) and to know about the meetings/politicians' speeches, and yes, 35 thousand out of 57 thousand is a lot! I am looking forward to reading more posts soon!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaj de gyönyörű hely *-*
    Puszi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came back to blogging from a vacation as well! Looks like you had a lovely time as did I. Feeling refreshed and happy for sure. ;)

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful place. I love anywhere where there is oceans and seas.
    http://www.mimosasandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful- and so do the photos, especially the one capturing the sunset :) xx Maja
    ☀ http://majasmuffin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful place!!Love the pictures!
    Kira
    Kira Is Wearing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how beautiful you've captured the peaceful nature of Gotland, Csenge! Wonderful place to relax and get inspired for new things! Enjoy your holiday, dear!

      xoxo Ira
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
  8. Wow these pictures look amazing. Looks like you had a great time!!!

    xoxo Emily
    http://www.ditchtheheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos!! Xo

    http://www.sweetsimpleday.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like you had a wonderful time, these photos are great! :)

    Recently I have started as a guest designer for a famous bag brand and my first design of a belt bag is out! <3 I would love to hear what you think about it! :)
    Hope to see you soon on my blog
    www.beneaththecoat.com
    Bloglovin
    Facebook :)

    Kisses from Zurich,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! Makes me wanna go there!
    xoxo Lynda
    http://fashion-petite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photos! Really love the architecture of the buildings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful place. I love the first photo you posted of the sunset -- just incredible!

    http://www.mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! xx

    http://brightdreamerz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete