A Day in Gothenburg

The first weekend of May my family and me spent in Sweden due to a big family celebration. We had the whole day to enjoy the Scandinavian atmosphere and to wander around the wonderful city of Gothenburg.


We started off with a typical Swedish tradition from my childhood, called "lördagsgodis". During the week kids barely eat sweets and then on Saturdays they are allowed to fill their bags with candy, so the massive amount of candy on Saturdays is called "lördagsgodis". Thus we went to this candy store, which was seriously heaven on earth for every child and even adults.


The entire store is filled with anything your heart could desire, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, liquorish, sweet and sour candy etc. At the end they weigh your bag to determine the price you have to pay.


I chose this french dark chocolate bar. It was divine! I don't like it when chocolate is too sweet, that's why I always go for high cacao percentage. This one was 85% I believe.


And this is the candy bag of my sister...mine used to look the same but now I'm grown up and all mature. Nah just kidding. (She already ate half of it as you can see...and I helped her a little)


Skansens Krona, from where you have a fantastic view over the city. It's really worth to take the hike up the hill.


A very positive aspect about Gothenburg is that you can reach the city centre or also any other destination in general very quickly by foot. The city is quite big, but very well-arranged and there's great public transport. But we prefer to enjoy the fresh salty ocean air and get our feet moving.



Then another typical Swedish thing to do is "fika", that's when you take a break and enjoy some coffee and baked goods, such as "mackor" also known as sandwiches or "bullar" known as buns. We went to a cafe called "Husaren" in the district Haga.


In Swedish cafes it's not common to be served, you have pick up a tray and take what you want. It's  similar to a canteen/cafeteria.



 They had an amazing selection of cakes, cookies, muffins, croissants and gigantic cinnamon rolls! It was insane! It took us a whole day to finish this giant.


I ordered a cappuccino and a blueberry crumble muffin, which was sooo delicious. If you visit Sweden you have to try blueberries in some kind of form, they grow abundantly here.


We strolled through cute little streets and discovered some lovely vintage and antique shops.



Next we crossed one of 45 bridges to get to the city centre, which took us surprising 5 minutes.


To get a glimpse of savory Scandinavian sea food you have to visit the Feskekyrka, which translated means fish church. It's an indoor fish market, where they sell freshly caught fish and delicacies.




Don't they look adorable?


Continuing to the shopping, which is indescribable! Sweden has so much creativity to offer in interior design as well as fashion and architecture. A shopping spree is obligatory. I will have a post up, merely focusing on the shops and brands to check out. So stay tuned!


After a successful shopping trip we were starved and decided to eat at John Scotts located infront of the biggest shopping centre in Gothenburg, Nordstan. And you guessed it, we ordered fish and chips!  



After lunch we just walked around the city and took it smooth. We had to save our energy for the family party in the evening. I hope you enjoyed this little insight of Sweden. Have you already been to Sweden or would you like to visit?

21 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post, I love posts about trips! I was once in Sweden and I didn't eat blueberries, so dumb! But at the time I didn't know they were abundant there! I loved the concept of fika and this lördagsgodis that you described, it's something so much for me :) I love sweets! So many beautiful photos and atmosphere, I loved it!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun! I love all of the pictures!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing photos!! really cute and interesting post!!
    thanks for sharing!
    kisses, Natali

    100% natural & homemade cosmetics => sano sanisimo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are SUPER international and I am super jealous!!
    I love sweden, trying to teach myself swedish now with Duolingo! I want to go there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, SO cute!!
    Sending you much love & Happy Wednesday!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.businessinthornton.net |

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, its pleasant article about media print, we all understand media is a fantastic source of information.londonusedcars.net |

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to let you know that what you do really affects peoples lives and that people - like me - truly appreciate it.chinahomelifedubai |

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really glad to be here.I hope to see more great articles here in the future too so keep it up and good luck to all of you!3dscanningtechnology |

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a positive conversation and each day since then he has made an effort to come and speak to her about his success of the day. cardiohealthtest.net |

    ReplyDelete
  11. I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish incredible. Wonderful activity! atouchoftechnology |

    ReplyDelete
  12. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!.votebackhome |

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wanted to let you know that what you do really affects peoples lives and that people - like me - truly appreciate it.asianbusinessnetwork.org |

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Numa Travels |

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really glad to be here.I hope to see more great articles here in the future too so keep it up and good luck to all of you!airtraveltips.org |

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.siouxempireweddings.org |

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you would like to get a good deal from this article then you have to apply such methods to your won website.Allied Technology |

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog is an exact representation of skills. I appreciate the blogger for posting the most excellent thought. This topic posted by you is trustworthy. Headline Profits |

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was the first place that told me the answer. I have added you to my bookmark list to check out new articles you postTrue Health Publising |

    ReplyDelete
  20. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!Creating Home Fullness |

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.. Minimal Home |

    ReplyDelete